Hostel Services Detail

Parental Care
  • Home
  • Hostel Services
Parental Care
By admin In Hostel Services, Posted on 9/3/2017 6:24:45 AM


Operates a residential child care establishment which provides a home environment for children. 


Undertaking all  tasks relating to the personal care, boarding accommodation, meals, study, recreation and weekend activities of children and adolescents in a residential home.

Ensuring good behaviour of the children and adolescents in their charge.

Supervising and arranging activities, promoting intellectual, physical, social and spiritual development of children and adolescents.

Ensuring living and hygiene standards are maintained.

Ensuring students are attending classes.

Assisting  with problems or providing a basic counselling service.

Performing minor domestic duties.

Accompanying students on weekend outings. 

Occupation Regulation

A person with a qualification in Child and Youth Care Work will, in future, be able to register with the South African Council for Social Service Professions (SACSSP). Presently you would have to register with the National Association of Child Care Workers. 

Learning Pathway Description

In order to enter this pathway you will require a qualification – the Further Education and Training Certificate in Child and Youth Work. You will need a NQF Level 3 certificate to register for this qualification.

 Due to the nature of the work employers will often require mature people (over 28 years of age) who have at least 2 years’ experience in a similar occupation.

Often a valid driver’s licence will be required.